E.F. Kellner & Co. storefront with horse-drawn wagons

Industrious Beginnings

Construction began on the Old Dominion Commercial Co. Warehouse in 1905. It was built of durable Maurel Block, poured on site by Jule Maurel, a world-renowned architect, whose concrete blocks were a staple in the building industry. The warehouse was used to store the Old Dominion Copper Mine’s drilling mud and equipment.

In 1909, two additional warehouse bays were added to the north end of the building. These bays were used to store the Old Dominion Mercantile dry goods. The railroad tracks ran along the west side of the building where the commodities were loaded directly into the warehouse through the huge sliding wooden doors (one of which has been preserved).

The goods were then loaded out the opposite side of the warehouse, onto Broad Street, and into wagons or trucks for delivery to the mercantile retail store in downtown Globe.

During most of the 20th Century, the Old Dominion Warehouse was utilized primarily for the storage of a variety of products. However, there were periods when the old building was vacant, as evidenced by the graffiti that still decorates the walls.

Looking Back at Our Shop’s Valuable Transformation

The most dramatic renovations began in 1994 when the previous owners embarked on a big project to transform the old post and beam-constructed building into an antique shop and personal residence. Skylights were installed to brighten up the vast interior space. They ingeniously turned the expansive tin roof into a gigantic billboard that can be seen from Route 60, by painting the words “ART & ANTIQUES” in 12-foot-tall letters across the rooftop.

Trees and shrubs were planted to spruce up the exterior landscape. And, the enterprise was christened with its new name, Pickle Barrel Art & Antiques.

Remarkable Enhancements Over the Years

The current owners acquired the property in 2003, and have completed the interior renovations that began all those years ago. With the help of local contractors, they designed the exterior patio complete with a fire pit, waterfall, loading dock, and pathways—all of which integrate rock walls with Montana flagstone.

Today, the patio serves as both a place to entertain as well as an outdoor extension of the shop. The mural on the west exterior wall of the building depicts a turn-of-the-century warehouse scene.

Today’s Pickle Barrel Trading Post

Today’s owners retained the name Pickle Barrel but added ‘Trading Post’ to the name to denote the addition of a Native American gallery that features fine art, jewelry, Indian crafts, and authentic trading post supplies.

Visitors assume that the historic building was once upon a time a pickle factory. The welcoming sign at the entrance says, “You Won’t Believe What’s Inside!” That slogan proves to be a genuine understatement for anyone who experiences the Pickle Barrel Trading Post adventure!

Shop Now

Making History

Upon entering the shop, look up and admire a true masterpiece! You will see an 8′ X 10′ original, a pencil-on canvas of Geronimo astride a pony against the backdrop of Arizona’s southern terrain. Local artist Frank Balaam entitled this massive artistic endeavor “Geronimo’s One Last Ride”. It will undoubtedly become a landmark in Globe, along with the historic building that houses it.